Monday 24 May 2010

Worship

Again my perspectives have been challenged through worship. This morning we went to an international church where the service was predominantly in English but also in Creole and French.

Again, let's think about the context in which this church worships. Imagine if you can a city reduced to rubble. Everyone has lost someone they know. Everyone knows someone permenantly disabled. Many have lost homes. Many still live under tarpaulins.

Then they gather for worship and sing:

You give and take away
You give and take away
And I will choose to say
Blessed be your name

How dare we ever whinge about what we do and don't have. How dare we get so focussed on ourselves and how we think we've been treated or hurt. How challenging to hear this absolute worship. How liberating to hear this sung - and sung in celebration (add in your imagining, if you can, that this is sung with a Caribbean/Reggae beat as people dance together).

They don't stop there. They go an and sing:

Who can know your infinite wisdom?
Who can tell the depths of your love?
You are beautiful beyond description
Too marvelous for words
And I stand, I stand in awe of you
I stand, I stand in awe of you
Holy God, to whom all praise is due
I stand in awe of you

God help us keep things in perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Brad - how dare we indeed! What a challenge this leaves me (along with you). Certainly pulls me up to question my own faith, how resilient is it? Thanks for the challenge, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brad. X

    ReplyDelete