Thursday 6 May 2010

Wednesday

Today was frenetic. It started in frustration because our modem went for repairs, so the time I set aside to do some stuff in the office was potenitally going to be wasted.

Not thwarted I prepared for some job interviews (I am looking for nationals to fill the roles as assistant camp manager, a development worker and a community worker). The first two interviews went well, and I am confident that I have found a community worker. I have three more people to speak to out of the 11 that we initially narrowed down. Sadly, one of the applicants wasn't too excited about how much The Salvation Army was willing to pay... sounds like home, hey.

When I got to the camp, I was confronted by the usual sort of frustration that can make your feel like you are making no progress. One of our shower blocks is being used as a storage space by one of our security guards. I suspect he is leasing storage space. To make a point to him, the camp committee have padlocked the showers so he can't get at his stuff. So I have stuff in a shower block that I want out, and the guy can't get it out. On top of this, someone else has stuff in the other side of the block and won't move it until the first guy does. AND... because people can't use the showers, they are showering next to our office to make a point to us. AND... the water from their bathing is gathering in a pool and attracting insects (i.e. the disease carrying type). AND... to move this water we have to dig a drain behind the shower block to allow it to flow. AND... the committee have cunningly asked some of the campers to do this - which The Salvation Army will pay for (of course). AND... well you get the picture.

A walk around the camp this morning emphasised the tragedy of the situation again for me. The rains have arrived, so it is a mud pit. People have water running through their shelters and we can't move fast enough to remedy the plans. This afternoon I met with engineers to talk about the drainage, and we have quotes, but by the time we get funding we could be in a real mess.

To top the day off, I found some nurses wandering around the camp looking for infants to assess their health. This isn't bad in itself, except that we already have our own clinic, and a partnership with Concern Worldwide who are providing this service on our behalf - including full maternal health classes. I went around to their HQ (I.e. the nurses who are from another NGO) and asked to speak to their boss. He apparently didn't know they were there either. As the person supposedly coordinating the care in the services in the camp I found the whole thing frustrating.

Just another day of fun.

At least the modem is back and working.

1 comment:

  1. If the situation was not so tragic - reads abit like a Monty Python skit. Am interested in all you write. Val Mortimer

    ReplyDelete