Wednesday 9 June 2010

Wierd Day

It's the only way I think I can describe today. Yesterday and today were dominated by distributions to around 3500 families. We gave some rice, nutritional supplements and water purifier bottles. Lots of logistics involved. Moving four trucks of goods at a time (and doing it twice), arranging UN troops for security over two days, having 30 casual staff employed, ensuring that your scanners are charged, getting water delivered for the troops and the staff... and making sure it all happens simultaneously at 8am on both days.

Went pretty smoothly, all things considered.

Then from there it was off to the UN logbase. I've gotten use to this place, whether for cluster meetings with other camp managers or for meeting with civil and military liaison teams to plan cooperative efforts. Having said that, I missed my first meeting (about child protection) because I couldn't find the 'rooftop meeting area'. Noone in the logbase could tell me where it was either.

So I slipped into the airconditioned tent an hour before my Camp Manager's cluster and did some more work on the health project I've been writing. This is a proposal to ensure that the camp health is monitored, transmittable and communicable diseases are prevented, primary first aid is provided on site and then an inventory of all other services in the area is taken so that we can get ambulatory or vehicular access to the right services for people.

I couldn't believe that I got it mostly finished by dinner. It then went off to our technical advisors so that they can pick holes in it before we pass it up the chain for approval. Good to know this is something I'll be able to leave ready to start when I head home.

Other than that I met with our camp partners for the last time late this afternoon. A little frustrating as one didn't show up, but it was good to commend my colleague Heather and my replacement Wendy to them (not that I've met her - but she has a great rep).

Tomorrow's officially my last day before the two day journey home starts on Thursday. COuld be a long one... have to reconcile the cash books again.

1 comment:

  1. Brad where does all the time go - nearly home - wow! What amazing work you have been involved in - I have enjoyed this journey with you (good and bad) what an eye opener. Let me commend you on your efforts and versitility - well done mate! I hope the trip home is a safe and refreshing one for you, and that the next little time with the family is enjoyable. Thanks for all you have done!

    ReplyDelete