Thursday 10 June 2010

Is there ever a 'normal' day?

I left this morning, and said to my roommate, Henk, "It could be a quiet last day". He suggested that I take one of the drivers and go around town to see the sights.

Well, my colleague Heather was ill, so I was by myself in the camp most of the morning. Just when I got into the camp office, there were fireworks. As in... pyrotechnics - real sparks running down the walls. At first I thought I'd finally gone mad. Then it happened again. I ventured outside, mostly so that the sparks didn't fall on my head, to find that the electricians that were repairing our lighting were using no guards or screens and running generators and welders all around our office.

I managed to convince them to at least wait until we'd finished in the office, but then went inside to find fireworks. This time, metaphorically speaking. A security guard had been quite drunk last night while on duty and had pushed a woman. She retaliated by throwing glass and a rock at him. He retaliated by slashing her shelter. All of a sudden, in a concrete room that echoes horribly, I had ten men and about 4 women yelling about what should be done. Thankfully most of it was in Creole. We had a little court hearing and both sides told each other very differing events. I was placed in the horrible situation of trying to work out what had really happened and what to do, knowing full well that if I sacked him and sent him to the police (my first, gut, reaction) he'd probably come back and really hurt the woman.

I decided in the end that he wouldn't be paid until enough salary had gone to fix her shelter. He and his family will probably lose 1-2 weeks wages and she'll have somewhere dry to sleep. Not the best solution, but it was something. These cases are a bit like throwing a stone into the dark. You don't know if you'll hit the mark or if it will riccocete back into your face.

While this was going on, another NGO I'd agreed to meet showed up. Kinder Not Hilfe have funded one of our schools here for over 30 years. I met with them today to talk about putting a second child-friendly space and play area in the camp. I hope it happens.

After lunch things were a little more mundane until I got back to my car to find that the car port was filled with the camp committee, my staff and the security team who were throwing me a farewell party. Three cakes, a heap of food they can't afford and gifts that they can't afford either. Very embarrasing. Not only that, the engraved wooden gift from the committee is so large it doesn't fit into any bag. No idea how I get it home over the next two days/ four flights.

So on that note, with gratitude to the people of Haiti for their welcome, gratitude to The Salvation Army for the opportunity to serve and learn and gratitude to God for safety, guidance and nourishment, I take my leave.

Looking foward to seeing Ange and the kids on Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment