Tuesday 27 November 2012

Final update from Nauru


The weather has turned up here. We have gone from 40 degree days, working in direct sunlight and high humidity, to cooler (30 ish degrees) with heavy storms every day. Believe it or not, while the days are still warm, it feels much more bearable. The only problem has been moving our cots and bags around our tent to keep them, and ourselves, dry. The other night I had a dripping on my face in the middle of the night - my only option at that time was to turn around and let the drip keep going on my feet.

After four weeks, I have a slight change in function. I have been leading one of our client support teams for most of my stay here. I am currently handing that over to another team leader and simultaneously helping with the finances in the office, as we have not had a bookkeeper with us for a fortnight.

We also continue to have new people deploy from Australia. They are taking on new roles around us and it is reassuring to see the way that things fall into place and continue as you phase out of your former roles.

Quite a few of us finish our deployment this week, including another of the team leaders, our HR rep and our imbedded psychological assistant. As a result we have planned a 'send off' dinner to celebrate what we have been able to do together and to say goodbye to each other... which will be a little odd as we will all be on the same plane to Brisbane!

I will see everyone on Sunday. Please pass on my thanks to those that have helped out in my absence, especially those that have supported Ange specifically.

No comments:

Post a Comment