Saturday 11 April 2015

Vanuatu Update 9

As you can see there have been very few updates this week. There's a very simple reason for that... I have had no internet. Well... some internet - sometimes at the local internet cafes or where I might go for a meal. We are told that the technician is coming to fix the connection at our house... he's been coming since Tuesday.

That hasn't stopped our work, though, and the teams have been hard at it across Efate, Tanna and Anatom Islands this week. There has been good economic signs in town as well, as the handicraft market reopened and the first cruise ship, with 2000 passengers, returned to Port Vila.

For me, there's been a chance to reflect. I went to bed last night and I thought to myself:

Today we helped ship food to families that are desperate for food.
Today we helped to argue for adequate shelter standards for families that are trying to rebuild.
Today we arranged for distribution of hygiene items to another 176 families.
Today I participated in a workshop that planned the future responses for all the agencies working in Vanuatu and also compiled lessons learned from the first four weeks post Cyclone Pam.
Today I met up with people from around the world with whom my connection goes back years - like Josh that used to work for SAWSO (The Salvation Army World Service Office in the USA) and now works for Habitat for Humanity.
Today we were able to apply for funding to rebuild the industries in a number of villages and rebuild 200 homes (pray for approvals!) completely and repair a further 130 homes.
Today I got to ride in the back of a ute with some friends driving around a tropical paradise.

I do like my job  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment