Friday 3 April 2015

Vanuatu Update 7 - Good Friday

This morning I had the great privilege of sharing in Good Friday worship at The Salvation Army Port Vila outpost.

Lilyrose, our congregation leader, gave me an order of service and then proceeded to lead three songs that weren't on the program. Following this, she turned to me, invited me to the "platform" and said, "We're ready to start now I think".

The congregation consisted mostly of young children. Out of 40-45 of us that were there, the majority would have been under 25. In fact a good half would have been under 18. You can see a strong future for The Salvation Army in Vanuatu if they continue to be part of the life of this community.

It did, of course, mean that I had to do some quick re-think of the Good Friday message, but nonetheless, it was a real honour to be about to speak on such an important day in the Christian calendar. I will always cherish such an opportunity.

After church we shared in refreshments and Lilyrose shared her testimony with me. Her first contact with The Salvation Army came through a vision her son had of some 'white men' that would come and help them. After this she saw a TV documentary on The Salvation Army and told her husband that when they come to Vanuatu, she would be the first to join. And she was.

Lilyrose tells the story of an amazing transformation in her life and how she is now committed to working for God full time. She lives by faith and runs a children's program and also does a lot of prison visitation. She leads the congregation and has been of immeasurable assistance to us as we get to know her community.

I salute Lilyrose. Alastair (my IES) colleague and I told her that the day will come when they include Vanuatu in The Salvation Army year book, along with her photo. One day, when this happens, it will permanently note her pioneering work.

You will note that I have finally changed the photo on the sidebar. This is about 4 1/2 years overdue. The photo there now includes the members of the first IES team in Vanuatu. I am to the left, with William (Lilyrose's husband), Major Darren Elsley (Aus Eastern), Michael (USA West), Craig (USA East), Stephen (Vanuatu) and Major Gavin Watts (Aus Eastern). Missing in the photo are Damaris Frick (IHQ - she took the photo) and Alastair who arrived a day or two later. This week coming we are also joined by another Craig from USA East, which will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment