Friday 14 June 2013

Sad

Every now and then, when you work in developing countries, you see something that is just sad.

Today we were driving along and we witnessed an accident. That's normal. I think I see one every day on the roads here.

But this one stood out. A young boy, perhaps 7-8 years old, was knocked over by a motorbike while he was begging on a street corner. In his tin there were a few coins and a few biscuits, which all fell out on to the road.

 As he scrambled up, a friend helped him to the side of the road. Then all the traffic started moving despite him. His biscuits lost and crushed under cars. His coins - well I hope he was able to get them afterward.

While none of this is out of the ordinary for Bamako - there are many beggars, there are many accidents, there are many sad stories - this one stood out to me today. You could see the hurt as the boy got up, you could see the sadness as he lost his biscuits. I could feel my own sadness and helplessness as we were moving the other way.

All of this took about 10 seconds - but it will remain with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment