Monday 21 February 2011

Junior Soldiers

Wasn't it great yesterday to have two new Junior Soldiers enrolled, Matthew and Shikira. They looked great in their white red shield t-shirts and it is always moving to hear young people read their pledge. Pray for them in the coming days and take an active interest in them. There are more enrollments on the way!

Junior Soldiers is a great program; I insist that it is one of the best discipleship programs for primary aged children offered by any church. It has projects for the kids to work on, weekly lessons, Bible reading tasks and church involvement tasks.

I'm also a bit sentimental about Junior Soldiers. I remember my own enrollment at Bendigo Salvos in 1982 (?I think) quite clearly. I even remember that Captain Collins' after shave was really strong when he pinned my badge on! But most of all, I remember how sincere I was and how determined I was to follow Jesus. I haven't got it right all the time since then, but the stuff you learn as a young person doesn't leave you and I thank God for my Junior Soldier teachers May Price (Bendigo, Vic), Greg Morgan (Darwin, NT) and Shirley Fletcher (Canterbury, Vic) who helped me along the way. Marion Sampson and her helpers here at Marion have an awesome opportunity with our kids to impact them with the gospel!

No comments:

Post a Comment