Friday 17 September 2010

What God teaches us in unlikely situations

Last night Mark and I made it to Memorial Drive to see Powderfinger and Jet. Most of you would be aware of Powderfinger - the biggest Australian band of the last twenty years. They are on their final tour and last night was their second to last show in Adelaide - after first performing here in 1994 at the Exeter Hotel, then moving up to the Thebarton Theatre and now playing stadiums.

The first thing I learnt last night was a new appreciation for Zaccheus. You get a different glimpse into the life of a biblical character when you are thrust into their circumstance. Being short - 171cm (5'7" or 5'8" ish) - has some advantages, but when I am placed among many tall people it isn't that good. I wished for a sycamore tree so that I could catch a glimpse of the few things I was missing. I learnt the excitement he would have had when he was noticed by Jesus - feeling small amid everyone else, but seen by God.

The second thing that I learnt was hope for our worship times in Australia. That may sound random and unconnected, but I have often lamented that we don't worship freely in Australia. We like to sit and listen and woe-betide anyone who would dance or speak or move around or get lost in the sound. Compared to the Caribbean reggae worship, people in PNG singing for hours before worship starts, Indians wailing and jumping and excitedly dancing, Africans joyfully bringing gifts and dance.. we can be so staid and even boring. It's as if we are scared to let loose.

But Australians can let loose. Last night thousands of people clapped, danced, allowed the music into their bodies and minds, celebrated, joined in community and did all this while being in circumstances that churches wouldn't stand for (about 7 or 8 degrees, outdoors, no chairs and little personal space). I hope we get that sort of abandonment in our worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment