Friday 9 October 2009

The Doc's funeral

There's been a few funerals lately, and we're not finished yet - we celebrate the life of Clive Bates next Tuesday.

Yesterday I was privileged to assist with the celebration and remembrance for Professor Raffele Scicchitano. The Doc, or Raff (as we variably knew him) was a leader in research and treatment of thoracic and lung cancers. He was a leading medical officer in the Australian Army, serving on five deployments for his adopted country. He was a great family man. He was also a man of faith - and an inquisitive and genuine man in the community. All who truly knew him loved him, it was that simple.

I learnt a lot through Raff. I learned about the value of irreverence even in serious matters. I learned about inquisitiveness and the value of the well-phrased question. Indirectly, I learned about awakening someone's faith even in horrific situations, as it was in Afghanistan that he shared living space with Chaplain Craig Potter who helped rekindle the Doc's curiosity about God.

I am honoured to have shared a part of our journeys together and to have been a part of celebrating his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment