Wednesday 4 September 2013

Old Hymns and New Transformations

During our Hymns of Praise service today, Laurie introduced us to his favourite song. The lyrics of the chorus say:

O the peace my Saviour gives
Peace I never knew before!
And my way has brighter grown
Since I've learned to trust him more.

As we sung this song I was struck by the dual thought - this song is around 100 years old, but it couldn't be truer that it is today. We see, everyday, people transformed by the peace that comes from a relationship with God.

I think through the encounters that we've had through Marion Salvation Army this week. I can't say too much, so as not to contravene people's privacy. But what I can say is that we've had a Mum at her wits end find peace in prayer in our chapel. We've had a soldier (Defence type) find some peace through the counsel offered, helping with traumas he suffered years ago. We've seen an elderly man come to seek peace from God after years of habitually taking himself into trouble. We've seen another man that has come through a tragic car accident last week, and the loss of a friend, seek solace through our ministries because of the relationships he has here - and we pray that will leave to finding God's peace.

The final verse finishes this thought well:

Now I'm trusting every moment
Nothing less can be enough;
And my Saviour bears me gently
O'er theplaces once so rough
O the peace my Saviour gives...

 (Lyrics  by Francis Augustus Backmer, 1855-1930)

No comments:

Post a Comment