Monday 29 August 2011

Army Chaplaincy

Some of you are interested in the work that I do as an Army Chaplain. Well, that's good, but there's not much I can tell you, for obvious reasons.

What I can say is that on any given weekend that I am working, I will be helping the servicemen in our community with issues from marriage difficulties to personal injuries to depression to employment worries. (They are just from the last few days).

Then there are the more public and fun engagements. Yesterday afternoon I was fortunate enough to be asked to dedicate a new memorial established by the RSL. This memorial is in the form of a leopard tank at Echunga, and is dedicated to the memory of all servicemen that trained and served their country but, through lack of need or timing, were never deployed. These soldiers, sailors and airmen still offered their life to their country upon enlistment, but were not sent overseas.

The oppotunity to represent both Army and The Salvation Army in that instance is amazing. I was dedicating this memorial with politicians, including ministers, RSL representatives and many community leaders present. Better still, the opportunity to bring Christ into the equation was very real. To pronounce a benediction, to pray for the gathering and to represent faith in a secular ceremony is a profound privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment