Thursday 7 January 2010

Raukkan... and welcome

Today I had the privilege of traveling to Raukkan (Point Macleay) to conduct the funeral service for an elderly lady of the Narrandjeri people (forgive my poor spelling, please). Apart from a unique cultural experience and being blessed to be asked in the first place, I had an insight into the value of ministry.

An elder of the community asked me over and started to cry as she thanked me for coming. "I never thought I would see The Salvation Army at Raukkan again". She then asked me about the Leggett family. They were appointed to The Salvation Army's work at Raukkan/ Pt Macleay straight from the training college. Mrs Leggett was apparently only 19 years old. However, both have left such a lasting impression from their ministry that there is local council permission for them to be buried among the people if that be their choice.

What legacy are we leaving from our ministry?

Oh... and a footnote to the blog note from this morning. Today Lucy hosted a young African widow with three children. After helping her in the shop, she gave her all sorts of information on our children's ministries and showed her into where our services are held. "I can feel God is here" was the lady's comment. Well done, Lucy. Let's pray for this young woman in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment